Duodenal Switch Surgery
by Mexico Bariatrics
The duodenal switch surgery, at Mexico Bariatrics, is a type of combined malabsorptive and restrictive weight loss surgery. The duodenal switch is known by multiple names, including DS and biliopancreatic diversion with duodenal switch. This surgery decreases both the quantity of food that can be accommodated by the stomach and the number of calories that can be absorbed and used by the body.
The duodenal switch combines the creation of a moderately sized stomach pouch with bypassing part of the small intestine. This allows the patient to lose weight without significantly altering their eating habits. The stomach is able to hold approximately five to six ounces of food, while other common procedures typically leave it able to hold one half to one full ounce.
Duodenal Switch is a hybrid surgical procedure that has two aspects that reduce weight.
- The smaller stomach size limits the amount of food that can be taken in to about 120-150cc (1/2-3/4 Cup).
- The small bowel is reattached in such a fashion as to keep the biliopancreatic juices away from the food until the last portion of the small bowel, limiting the absorption of the food that is eaten. The stomach is decreased in size by doing a Sleeve Gastrectomy, which uses proportional amounts of the stomach areas that make important enzymes and chemicals. The hallmark of the Duodenal Switch operation is the preservation of the pyloric valve.
- Duodenal switch provides the best remedy for failed gastric bypass.
- When necessary, the revision or reversal of the Duodenal Switch operation is technically the safest and easiest of all revision surgical procedures.
Duodenal Switch Benefits
The numerous benefits of Duodenal Switch further enhance the superiority of this weight loss surgery when compared to other procedures. These benefits include post-op successful and long term excess weight loss (EWL), resolution of obesity related comorbidities, and improved quality of life.
- Better Success. The broadly accepted measure of satisfactory weight loss success is defined as > 50% excess weight loss (EWL).
- Greater Excess Weight Loss. Duodenal Switch surgeons have reported 70-80% excess weight loss (EWL) over long term follow up.
- Superior Resolution of Co-morbidities
- Improved Quality of Life
Come for Consultation
To find out more about duodenal switch surgery, including the benefits, risks, and possible complications, contact us today. Our doctors are a widely recognized and highly respected weight loss surgeon and has performed more than 6,000 weight loss surgery procedures. He will provide you with an extensive examination and consultation to discuss your candidacy for duodenal switch surgery or other procedures such as sleeve gastrectomy or gastric bypass.
If you’d like to learn more about Duodenal Switch Surgery, please contact us. We look forward to having a conversation with you about this exciting medical advance!