Mini Gastric Bypass
by Mexico Bariatrics
Mini gastric bypass surgery, in Mexico Bariatrics, is a short and relatively simple procedure that has been shown by the available research to have low risk and result in good short and long-term weight loss.
As the name suggests, mini gastric bypass surgery is a simplified form of Roux-en-Y gastric bypass surgery (RNY). A thorough review of the studies that specifically evaluated the effectiveness of MGBP shows that the procedure is shorter, easier, less expensive and has lower risk and equally successful outcomes as RNY.
Even though MGBP sounds like an obvious choice between the two procedures, there are a few signifigant reasons why this might not always be the case…
- Mini gastric bypass usually bypasses much more of the intestine than a standard gastric bypass which could lead to more vitamin and mineral deficiencies.
- Unlike gastric bypass surgery, digestive enzymes and bile are not diverted away from the stomach after mini gastric bypass. This can lead to bile reflux gastritis which can cause pain that is difficult to treat. Bile reflux gastritis may also increase the risk of cancer in the stomach pouch.
Mini Gastric Bypass Benefits
A mini gastric bypass is a less invasive alternative to standard gastric bypass; but produces similar results.
- The most important benefit of gastric bypass is the decreased risk of co-morbidities, or conditions that are caused by morbid obesity.
- Relief from symptoms associated with obesity-related health conditions, such as diabetes, sleep apnea, arthritic pain, high blood pressure, and edema.
- The procedure itself is performed in less time than traditional gastric bypass surgery, typically taking no more than an hour.
- Patients are typically released from the hospital after 24 hours and have a shorter recovery period than patients who undergo traditional gastric bypass surgery.
Come for Consultation
To find out more about mini gastric bypass surgery, including the benefits, risks, and possible complications, contact us today. Our doctors are a widely recognized and highly respected weight loss surgeon and has performed more than 6,000 weight loss surgery procedures. They will provide you with an extensive examination and consultation to discuss your candidacy for mini gastric bypass surgery or other procedures such as sleeve gastrectomy or gastric bypass.
If you’d like to learn more about Mini Gastric Bypass Surgery, please contact us. We look forward to having a conversation with you about this exciting medical advance!